5 Ways to Prevent Migraines
Anyone who has migraine headaches can tell you how debilitating they can be. If you suffer from migraines, I’m sure you are all too familiar with this. Luckily, for those of us who suffer from migraines, there are prevention methods that we should all employ.
1. Cardiovascular exercise and muscle strengthening. There are many reasons to hit the gym. Not only does exercising help you maintain a healthy weight and give you energy, but studies have shown that exercise can be just as effective as medication in the prevention of migraines. Increasing the amount of oxygen flowing in your body may help to prevent these severe headaches, and exercise helps you to do that. Exercise also releases endorphins or feel-good chemicals, which also helps to prevent headaches.
2. Get all of the proper nutrients and vitamins. Eating a healthy diet can really contribute to a lack of conditions such as migraine headaches. Make sure you consume all of the vitamins that you need, especially riboflavin. Also, make sure you get plenty of magnesium as many people who suffer from migraines also suffer from a magnesium deficiency.
3. Get enough high-quality sleep. Getting poor sleep can be a great trigger for migraine headaches in many people. If you are not getting good sleep, consider changing your sleep habits. For example, make sure you don’t do anything else in your bed (read, watch TV, listen to music) aside from sleeping. It also helps if you can go to bed and wake up the same time each day.
4. Try relaxation techniques and biofeedback. When you attend a biofeedback therapy session, biofeedback therapists will monitor your headaches and help you learn techniques that will help you to control your body’s reactions, including your migraines. These techniques are especially good for people who have stress migraines.
5. Try unconventional methods like massage and acupuncture. Massage, acupuncture, meditation, and relaxation are all practices that can contribute to your overall sense of health and wellbeing. If your body is generally more relaxed and peaceful, you will not develop as many symptoms such as headaches.
The most important thing to remember is that everyone’s body is different, and everyone is going to respond differently to various solutions. It’s important to try different methods to see what works the best for you and your migraines.