The biggest cause of headaches and migraines is stress. In today’s society, so many of us are working 40+ hours at highly stressful jobs and then we have family obligations, social commitments, and everything else that is required to have a productive adult American life. For those of us who are prone to headaches, being constantly stressed out is a sure way to make sure we will get them frequently. One of the best ways to stop the headaches is to stop the stress. Here are six things that you can try.
1. Meditation. One of the best ways to decrease your stress is to practice regular meditation. You can find free guided meditations all over the internet, you can go to a meditation class, or you can simply go outside in nature and do a walking meditation. There are a lot of resources available that will help you to determine the best kind of meditation for you. And that doesn’t mean you have to set aside an hour every day. You can fit several mini-meditation sessions in every day, even if it’s just sitting quietly at your desk and getting centered for five minutes.
2. Relaxation. Learning how to relax is one of the best ways to de-stress. Everyone has different ways to relax. For some people, taking a bubble bath with lit incense and candles is very relaxing whereas other people like to relax by sitting on the couch and watching a funny movie. Find whatever works best for you and makes you feel relaxed, and make sure to incorporate a little bit of relaxation time every day.
3. Yoga, pilates, swimming, or dancing. Exercising is a great way to de-stress. But you don’t just want to exercise. You want to find a type of exercise that will help you to get centered and feel better. For some people, it may be yoga or swimming. Others may feel like an upbeat dance class can really help them to blow off steam. The point is that you want to find the best technique for you. Try different sorts of exercise to find the best one that works for you.
4. Coloring or playing games. There are so many activities that give your mind a break and allow you to perform some task mindfully, such as adult coloring books, putting together puzzles, or playing little games on your phone. These activities can really help you to de-stress and relax your mind.
5. Listening to calming music. There are a number of relaxing and calming playlists that you can try out on websites like YouTube or on music streaming services like Spotify or Pandora. Listening to music that is calm can have a very positive effect on you and your entire body.
Getting a massage is a great way to stay relaxed and de-stressed. Often, we hold stress in our bodies in the form of muscular tension. A good massage therapist will be able to help you release all of the tension and stay relaxed.
Learning how to deal with stress is one of the best things you can learn for your health. In addition to helping you to stay healthy, it will also help you to stop getting headaches.Read More